Bombs explode in Jerusalem! Bahrain, Yemen, Egypt, Syria, Tunisia, and Libya are all still smoldering. As I sit here state side and watch the Middle East erupt in to chaos I think about how fortunate I am. The last time that my family ever experienced anything even close to Libya or Egypt was while we were visiting Kenya. It was the early 1980’s and there was an attempted coup to over throw the Kenyan government. Living under martial law for even a couple of days was an experience that is not easily forgotten.
Last night during dinner with friends I told a story about how I felt during the days following 9-11. I used to live close to DFW airport and our house was in the direct flight path. We could always see and often hear the planes lining up for landing. I remember going for a walk at night the day after 9-11 and the thing that struck me was how eerily quiet the sky was. That was the day I realized that for me there is no other country in the world that I would rather be locked in to than the U.S.
No comments:
Post a Comment